Swellendam is situated on the Breede River and is adjacent to the busy N2 Highway carrying travelers to and through the beautiful garden route, Eastern province, Transkie and Kwazulu-Natal ending at the Mozambique border. It is a flourishing agricultural area.
The town has many landmarks of olden times and early era buildings, which have been restored to their original condition. The Drostdy is a museum that has to be visited.
With the Langeberg mountain range in the background Swellendam caters for all sorts of activities such as a testing nine hole golf course, mountain hikes and walks, bowls, tennis, squash and a very active aero club for gliding and flying.
Not too far away there is the rare Bontebok Park with many indigenous buck. It is also a bird watching haven and at last count there were 192 species. The park has full camping facilities.
Swellendam has a fine selection of Guest Houses and Bed and Breakfast accommodation to suit every pocket.
Swellendam is truly a gem not to be passed on your travels.
After the establishment of the refreshment centre at the Cape of Good Hope by the Dutch East India Company many expeditions were led to the Swellendam area where cattle was traded with the Khoikhoi who lived in this area.
The town received its name from the Governor Hendrik Swellengrebel and his wife Ten Damme. Swellendam was declared a magistracy in 1743 and is the third oldest town in South Africa. As it is centrally situated it soon became a popular stopover place for travelers and early explorers of the Africa continent. Travelers of renown such as Le Vaillant, Lady Anne Barnard, Burchell and Bowler stayed, worked and spent time in Swellendam. The famous painting of the Swellendam Market Place by Thomas Bowler is on view in the Old Drostdy.
The resident burghers suffered under the maladministration of the Dutch East India Company and in 1795 declared Swellendam a Republic. This only lasted till 1800 when the British took control of the Cape.
During the fire of 1860 Swellendam's fortunes changed and growth and development slowed down.
|Fire Dept||514 1100|
|Electricity Dept||514 1100|
|Water Dept||514 1100|
|Traffic Dept||514 1100|
|Post Office||514 1220|
|Information Bureau||514 2770|
|Municipal Offices||514 1100|
|International Airport George||044 876 9310|