Wellington is situated about 72km north of Cape Town. The town was named in honour of the renowned soldier who defeated Napoleon at the battle of Waterloo.
The town is situated in an extremely fertile valley perfect for the growing of grapes and the making of fine wines. The French Huguenot settlers who were granted farms in this area by the Cape authorities started this.
The town and the surrounding area has many fine buildings dating back to the early settlers. Accommodation is available on most wine farms or close by privately owned establishments. There are many fine restaurants and a superb 18 hole golf course.
The mountain range protecting the town has many fine walks and hikes or drives for the not so energetic.
Wellington offers fine educational training especially in Social, Youth and Missionary work. It is also the only training centre for teachers offering courses in Afrikaans.
The area now housing the town Wellington was earlier known as Limit Valley. It later became known as Val du Charron or 'Wagenmakersvallei' (Wagon Makers Valley). The French Huguenots settled there at the end of the 17th Century.
|Ambulance Private||872 1979|
|Fire Dept||873 1121|
|Electricity Department||873 1121|
|Water Dept||873 1121|
|Traffic Dept||873 1121|
|Post Office||873 1377|
|Information Bureau||873 4604|
|Municipal Offices||873 1121|